Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Post 4: "Officially" Ready

I put "officially" in quotation marks because that's to be taken loosely...very loosely. Basically I'm just as ready as I'll ever be. 

As far as training, I think I've hit the pinnacle of being prepared. I didn't train during finals week, so I lost all "shape" I was in prior to that. I've started riding every day since being home, and some days I throw in an Insanity workout. The hills here at Lake Lotawana are great for training, but I don't get as much distance in as I would like to. As for Insanity, insanity is an understatement. At least in my books. It's one thing to feel like a champion after making it through an entire workout, but it's another to feel like a champion just because I made it through the stretches without taking a water break. Oh well, I guess I'll get in shape pretty quickly during the first weeks of the ride.

For a while I was worried that I wouldn't hit my minimum fundraising goal of $5,500. Just a week ago I had less than $4,000 raised and less than 20 days to go. In a last ditch effort, I sent a batch of emails out to ask for donations and some very generous people helped me to reach the minimum! It feels great to have that off of my shoulders. The fundraising won't stop here though. I'm going to try to reach $6,000 before the ride. 

While on the topic of fundraising, I want to send a sincere thank you to all that have donated so far.  I can't put into words how much your generosity means to me. While I don't quite know what amazing things are in store for me, I do know that the people that have donated are making them possible. More importantly, your donations are going to an amazing cause. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The time draws near! Next Wednesday I depart for Oakland to begin orientation. On the 8th, the ride begins. I plan to write again before then, so check back in soon! 
This is a picture I took on the dam of Lake Lotawana while riding a little later at night.

1 comment: