Friday, June 28, 2013

Day 17: Finally Scenic


Course: Park City, UT to Duchesne, UT
Distance: 90 miles
Conditions: Freezing cold morning, hot afternoon. Tailwind.
Terrain: One big climb, lots of downhill, flats afterwards.
Highest Elevation: 9,432ft
Longest Downhill: 12 miles
Max Speed: 43 mph



Coming out of the day off, the team felt fresh this morning. We were ready for a long ride, but had no idea what we were in for. Thankfully, I can finally say that with a positive connotation. I rode with Matt and Jason - two guys that I hadn’t ridden with before. It’s getting to the stage when everyone is branching out and trying to ride with everyone, so the pace lines end up being a lot closer together, since people aren’t just matching by skill. As pace lines were being sent off, the three of us realized that no one had been chosen as sweeps for the day, so we volunteered for the job. The morning started off feeling like it was below zero temperatures. For the first 5 miles I couldn’t feel my fingers. It eventually warmed up as we began our first climb, though. It was a long haul, and we had to stop several times in order to not pass up guys in front of us, but we finally made it to the top. We realized that the town we were previously at was at about 7,500ft when we saw the sign that told us that we were almost 2,000 feet higher. All of the sudden, it got freezing again.

However, we began a really long downhill and the time flew. The roads were scenic as we passed rocky cliffs, green grass (you don’t understand how much I missed the color green), and giant fields filled with yellow flowers and creeks running through them; the whole ride reminding me of the sound of music. The tailwind kicked in and we began to make amazing time. It was pretty smooth sailing from there on out.  Today was the first day that we had a noticeable tailwind to push us along. With little to no pedaling, we could cruise at about 20mph. We finished the 90 miles in no time, and it felt like we had only biked about 60.

We unpacked at the high school that we’re staying at, and then were instructed to put on “lake attire.” Everyone changed into their bathing suits and we headed out to a nearby lake. We got to play Frisbee, football, soccer, and even go tubing out on the water. I rode a 3-person tube with Collin and Jeremy. I sat in the middle, knowing that’d be the least likely way to fall into the freezing cold water. Despite the boat driver’s boldest attempts to throw me off of the tube, my many years back home at Lake Lotawana came in handy. I didn’t fall off once. However, when we approached shore, someone suggested that we just swim in, so I had to get in anyways. I know, I know – quit being a wuss, Blake. I’ll have you know that that water was liquid ice, everybody.

After the lake we headed over to a pavilion behind our lodging to have dinner with the Duchesne Lion’s Club. They prepared an amazing barbecue for us. They had short ribs, beans, salad, and freshly fried dough with honey butter as a topping. If the freshest, tastiest donut you’ve ever had died, went to heaven, then came back down to earth and slathered itself in honey butter, that was how good it tasted.

Dinner finished and we headed back to lodging, and now I’m going to catch some early Z’s for the big 95-miler tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment